How To Choose The Right Commercial Coffee Roaster
If you are new to coffee roasting, or if you are a coffee roastery looking to upgrade your roaster machine, you might be wondering which commercial coffee roaster machine is the best one for you. With so many available options in the market, how do you even begin to select the roaster machine that fits all your needs? In this article, we give you some guidelines on how to choose the right commercial coffee roaster machine for your business.
What Is Your Goal?
The first question you should ask is WHY you want to buy a roaster machine. Do you want to sell freshly roasted coffee in your coffee shop? Do you want to start selling to retail shops? Do you want to expand your existing roastery business? Do you want to explore opportunities for online selling and e-commerce?
Aside from the Why, you also need to ask the following questions:
- What is your budget and payment plans
- When you plan to buy
- Where will you place the coffee roaster machine, and how does it affect the workflow
- What roast profiles are you planning to achieve (dark roast, medium roast, light roast etc)
- Your projected production output in the next few years
In our previous blog, we have outlined all the basic things you need to consider when selecting a coffee roaster machine. This time, we are offering practical tips on purchasing a roaster machine:
- Make sure the products are reliable and compatible with the coffee industry’s standards
- Look for features that can help you to achieve precision and repeatability in roasting, such as automated replication feature
- Find a company with great service, easy to communicate with, and can see your vision for your business
- Ensure that the cost meets your budget
Berto Roaster Machine has a wide range of high-quality drum roaster machines that will fit your needs. All of our coffee roasters use superior stainless steel bodies, a powerful burner system, advanced safety features, as well as automated control, replication, and data logging functions. If you need help to find the right coffee roaster machine that answers all the above questions for you, browse our product range or contact us for a consultation. We’re happy to help.
The Next Step – Maintaining Your Coffee Roaster
Buying a coffee roaster machine is probably one of the biggest costs in your business, so it makes sense to want to keep it working well for as long as possible. After you purchase your commercial coffee roaster, daily operation and maintenance will be your top priorities. A dirty roaster machine has restricted airflow so it does not yield quality product, not to mention being a fire hazard. With careful maintenance, your coffee roaster machine will be guaranteed to give you a higher return on your investment.
Below are some helpful maintenance tips for your roaster machine:
- Schedule regular maintenance, for example cleaning the fans or grease the bearings and chain after a certain number of batches.
- Use a cleaner that cuts through the grease for the roasting oils
- Allow sufficient time for the roaster machine to cool off after each roast
- Always have extra spareparts and safety items at the ready
Most Importantly – Keep Improving Your Skill
Technology always improves, but it’s good to keep in mind that roasting coffee is a combination between art and science. As a roaster, it is important to make your tools work for you but do not let tools take over your senses. With coffee roasting, it depends highly on touch, taste and smell as well as the technology of the machine.
In the day-to-day operation, this means coffee roasters need to do coffee cupping sessions regularly. After you achieve your desired roast profile, it is recommended to keep sampling your roasts to ensure they are consistent in quality. Regular cupping will also tell you when your green coffee beans are starting to age, or a certain roasting profile is not working. Also, you can expand your skills by doing a blind tasting, sampling and comparing various green beans, or experimenting with different roast profiles.
Now that we have given you some insights about buying a commercial coffee roaster machine, there is no reason for impulsive buying without considering these important factors. Make an informed decision and level up your business with the right roaster machine.